Why Marijuana Plants from the Same Type of Seeds May Look Different

Just like how animals are bred, the same logic also works for plants. Any particular cannabis strain is a mixture of specially calculated factors that give them that unique trait. Some will have a different taste from another and others vary in strength and potency so depending on how it will be used, a particular strain might be suitable for it. There will also be some notable differences physically between strains and if you note them down, the identification of different types of cannabis will no longer be a problem.

Varietal Differences Coming from Same Seeds

Some of you might have encountered plants that look extremely different albeit coming from the same seeds. The simple answer to this can be both genetic and logistical reasons. Cases like this usually emerge the way seeds are packed, especially if you bought your seeds from a seed company. The usual scenario stems from the fact that these seed companies sell hybrids, whose characteristics are different from each other. Ergo, even if the package you bought is a variety of seeds, the truth is – marijuana seeds are really complex in nature with a wide range of traits and features.

In a logistical sense, the conventional way of growing marijuana is for vast productions, which means it requires great care and systematic record keeping. Today, however, where marijuana laws are highly questionable, marijuana breeders are reduced to limiting the number of plants and the space allotted for breeding. Because of this, making the plants homogeneous would take about 5 or 6 generations, shortening the availability of some varieties.

Cannabis Genetics

Let us delve into the case of the F1 hybrids, which are the product of crossing 2 breeding varieties. Genetically, F1s are identical although their gene package is heterogeneous – half-and-half is from each parent. As a result, the F2s (the second generation) when crossed acquire a spectrum of genes, the reason why plants look entirely different from each other.

Seed companies sometimes claim that 2 phenotypes are present, one being 75% and the other, 25%. The genetic explanation for this is the presence of a dominant gene that overpowers the rest of the alleles. As a result, the 25% will exhibit a unique characteristic, having acquired the recessive version. The rest of the plants that acquired both genetics of the parents have a bigger chance of looking exactly the same of the original, having acquired dominant versions.

Picking Out the Best Version of the Plant

On the part of seed companies, their common expectation of breeders is their tendency to germinate as many seeds as they can so they can pick out the best ones and make it a mother plant. This is the reason why seeders put a variety of versions in a seed packet, in order for the breeder to figure out the best plant. Through this technique, breeders will have a bigger chance of getting the right version, or the best of the bunch, and get rid of the runt in the litter. There are some ways to know which seed to get that only an expert grower can only provide you with information, but it will be up to you to actually try it out and observe.